Monday, August 19, 2013

2004 - 2008

Outside of my school in 2007 (RIP) 
This week is move-in week at Indiana University. I can't help but be a little jealous of all of the new students about to enter college. I still consider my time at IU the best years of my life. I wouldn't change a thing about what I have now, and I know that I'd have none of it if it wasn't for those four years that I spent learning about not only journalism, but life.

I became who I am today at that campus, met friends that are unmatched (some became colleagues!), made vital mistakes (in a somewhat safe environment), accrued a mountain of debt (that eventually made me a more responsible person) and challenged myself in ways that I didn't think I ever would. Not a day goes by that I don't think of something I learned or experienced between 2004 and 2008.

The choices I made there led me to my career, my husband, my hobbies... my life.

Good luck, new freshman. Welcome to the IU family. Don't waste a second of your time in college. It goes by too fast and you can't catch the same feeling ever again.

“I've learned one thing, and that's to quit worrying about stupid things. You have four years to be irresponsible here - relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember the time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So stay out late. Go out with your friends on a Tuesday when you have a paper due on Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does.” - Tom Petty

No comments:

Post a Comment