Monday, September 24, 2012

Review: Sharp Objects

A friend bought me Sharp Objects for Christmas. She knows me well! I absolutely loved the book and read it quickly - a rarity for me, a hopelessly slow reader. I chose the book for our next book club meeting and can't wait to get feedback from all of the girls.

A short description from Amazon:
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

The book is full of both self-inflicted pain and sadistic hurt. Very similar to the themes I like to write, I found the content of the book inspiring & bone chilling. I did stare at the door of our bedroom until I couldn't keep my eyes open many nights. Why do I continually do this to myself?

I did feel that it was a little rushed at the end. A lot more could have went into uncovering the final twist (maybe that's the Stephen King fan in me talking - I'm used to 800 page mysteries.).

The book is truly creepy and psychologically thrilling. The writing is amazing. Each character comes to life subtly but perfectly. The book kept me thinking long after I closed it. It is a worthwhile read.

No comments:

Post a Comment