Monday, August 6, 2012

King Strikes Out

"She had somehow gotten out of bounds, wandered off the playing field and into a place where the rules she was used to no longer applied." - Stephen King, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Thanks for providing the words to describe how I feel when I don't enjoy your work, Stephen.

I have been so critical of King lately, but I feel as though I'm falling out of love. Yes, the pouty face is necessary.

For a while, I've wanted to read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Now, I am. While it's much better than Insomnia, it's slow and boring. I've read 200 pages about a little girl walking through the woods. I have yet to feel any sort of emotion for the main character (who is supposed to be only nine but sounds like a 25 year old).

As always, no matter how tedious the story, King always manages to captivate me with his writing style and narration. Although I feel bored with the story, I am compelled to keep reading in order to "see" the images King conveys.

You're still the best in my mind, King. But, like Trisha McFarland, I hope to see a home run soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment