Thursday, July 5, 2012

Doing Nothing

July 4th fell in the middle of the week! Yay! A whole day right in the middle of the week to do nothing! I couldn't wait...

Then it came. And, I realized I'm terrible at doing nothing.

I'd fallen asleep on the couch the night before watching Master Chef (great show). When my alarm went off at 6:45 (forgot to turn off my weekday alarm), the living room was so bright. I was wide awake. I refused to accept this on such a special day of relaxation so I curled up in bed where Steve was sleeping soundly. I Facebook'd (of course) & tweeted (of course). Finallly, Steve and I got up to start our day.

Then, I started watching the clock. I needed to maximize the nothingness, but I didn't know how.

We ventured out to get lunch around 11:00 & I was already bored out of my mind. By the time 1:00 came, I had to get out of the house.  I took Turco on a walk. It was too hot. He refused to walk any more than a couple of blocks. He plopped down under a tree to relax. He's much better at doing nothing than I am.

I tried to read. I tried to nap. I tried to watch mindless TV shows. Nothing was fulfilling. I felt like I needed to BE somewhere, really DOING something.

By 3:00, I had Steve convinced to go see a movie. He'd had enough of nothing by that point too. We saw Ted (great!). Then, I came home and did my work for the evening. Finally, I felt better. I guess all I needed to do on Wednesday was work.

Good thing that's what I normally do.

No comments:

Post a Comment