Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dear...

There’s nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.

I have been a horrible writer lately. I rarely take the time to sit down and write anything that's not for a client. Who am I kidding? It's not rarely. It's never.

In the last few months, I've experienced a lot of emotions as a great friend goes through some major changes - good and bad. I've dealt with these feelings in a lot of ways: long drives to clear my head, fits of crying, digging through old photos that make me smile, etc. Most worked momentarily.

Last night, I read until about two in the morning (I am really enjoying The Pact). After I put the book down, I shut off the light to go to sleep. I quickly realized I wasn't going to Dreamland any time soon.

I went to our living room and tore a few sheets of paper out of a notebook & started writing a letter to my friend. I wrote about our past, mistakes, my hopes for the future... I filled pages with writing.

The letter served a good purpose. Not only will I have something meaningful to give my friend (I've been trying to think of good present ideas), I got my emotions out. And, as a great side effect, I found that all I really need to begin writing again is passion.

So, I'm going to put aside some of the projects that I've been struggling to work on & find something to write that gives me the opportunity to express raw emotion. I don't need outlines or plans; I need a blank sheet of paper and a full mind & heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment