Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: Before I Go to Sleep

Last night, I stayed up until two in the morning reading Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson. Boy, did it hold my attention. To say it is a page-turner is an understantement. I rarely finish a book quickly and I tore through this one. That said, I was left disappointed.

From the first page, there were three ways that I thought the book would end, and the actual ending was one of them. (Personally, I think my other ideas were better.) Too many obvious hints were given early in the novel. If things had been slightly more subtle, this would have been an excellent book.

Something else that frustrated me was the way the book was written. The writing itself was good, but most of the book was supposed to be written in journal form... and as a lifelong journaler, I've never included dialogue in my journal. If the book had been based on my own diary, it would have looked much like this:

July 27, 2012
Today Steve and I went to lunch. "Where would you like to eat?" he asked. I thought for a moment. "How's Chipotle sound?"  He agreed with a smile. The hot sun was so bright, I had to return to the house for my sunglasses. "You forget them every time we leave," Steve said as he stared at me with his frustrated eyes. I rolled mine. 

You get the idea.

The best part of the book was what it made me ponder: Who are we without memory? We are our memories and experiences. This book demonstrated that, without that, we would be floating aimlessly and fearfully through life.

I recommend this book despite my criticisms. It's a fun and easy read that's also thought-provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment