Thursday, April 7, 2011

quitting can be a beginning

“A dead end street is a good place to turn around”

Recently, I quit my job after just a year and accepted a new position. It took a lot of soul searching to take that step. I kept telling myself, "I'm not a quitter." I kept trying to make myself believe that where I was was where I wanted to be. It wasn't. After discussing my options with those who love me and being presented with an amazing opportunity, I had to go. After being at my new job, it's dawned on me: I didn't quit something; I started something.

Sometimes rushing at full speed down a dead end road is not being devoted; it's being scared. Life is about taking risks and getting out of situations that you know will get you nowhere. I woke up every day unhappy and unfulfilled. That isn't what I had in mind for my life & career, so I simply couldn't continue. What's worse is that I was in a job that others might need or want when I had other options.

So, I chose something else. It's going to be challenging, but I feel accomplished each and every day. When I wake up in the morning, I feel like I have a clear purpose. And, I get to use the skills that I feel have gone overlooked because of the position I chose.

The road leading nowhere isn't always a job. It can be a relationship, an investment, or simply a hobby. It's not the end of the world to say, "This isn't for me. I have to go." People will probably be mad. You might even have someone tell you that what you're doing is wrong, but I've found that the people who truly care about you recognize when you're making the choice that's right for you. That support is enough. It's not the end and you're not a quitter. It's a new beginning, and you'll feel braver than you've ever felt before.

2 comments:

  1. Very true! Good luck with your new endevores. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so inspiring! Thanks, Jessie. :)

    ReplyDelete