Sunday, June 27, 2010

Family - The Reason I'm Here



The wedding and life in general lately has made me think a lot about what family means. My family has always been my NUMBER ONE priority, and I'm truly blessed to have what I feel is the most loving and supportive family on the face of the earth. If I ever have a problem, no matter how big or small, I know they'll drop whatever they're doing to solve it for me the best they can. This is something that I've taken for granted at times. But, lately, seeing other families, I realize that a family like mine is a rarity.

When I wake up and go to work in the morning, it's not for me; it's for my family and all of those I care about. When I save money, it's to protect all of us; not just me and Steve. When a family member is sad, I can't rest until they feel better. I know that members of my family feel and do the same. My dad, for example, has given up everything he's ever earned to give me and my brother lives that we can be proud of and lives that we want. My mom supports my over-the-top liberal ideas even when she disagrees and has always trusted and encouraged me to march to the beat of my own drum (something I feel has made me the person I am today). And, my extended family travels miles to show their support for graduations and now, the wedding.

I'm also marrying into a family that is amazing. Despite many trials in the last couple years, my in-laws have not only remained strong, they've remained true to their love for each other. And, in that time, they were able to accept me and love me as one of their own. That's special and something that will never be forgotten.

Also, I'd like to point out that my family isn't limited to those blood related. I have friends who have gone out of their way when I am having a rough time or when big events in my life occur in ways that many blood relatives I've seen would not. This isn't lost on me.

I'm a lucky girl. I hope my families know that I appreciate their support and love more than they can imagine and that I will ALWAYS be here for them through every struggle they encounter. Families like ours are rarities these days and mine is something I cherish.


No comments:

Post a Comment